Islam in Revolution: Fundamentalism in the Arab World
Syracuse University Press, 1995 - 307 pages
. Illustrations. .
. Preface to the Second Edition. .
Pt. 1. Islamic Fundamentalism: Catalysts, Indices, and Responses. .
1. Islamic Resurgence in Modern Society. 3.
2. History of Islamist Movements: A Cyclical Pattern. 8.
3. The Social and Psychological Roots of Islamism. 23.
4. Islamist Ideology and Practice. 36.
5. Taxonomy of Islamist Societies and Arab Regimes. 55.
Pt. 2. Islamic Resurgence in the Arab World: Case Studies. .
6. Egypt: Cradle of Islamism. 73.
7. Syria: Sunni Islamism Against Ba’thi Rule. 103.
8. Iraq: Shiite Islamism Against Ba’thi Rule. 119.
9. Saudi Arabia: Sunni and Shiite Activism in an Islamic State. 130.
10. Islamism in the Gulf. 152.
11. Lebanon: Islamism in a Consociational Polity. 162.
Pt. 3. New Frontiers of Islamism. .
12. The New Islamism: Egypt. 173.
13. The Sudan, Libya, and Yemen. 186.
14. Jordan, Israel, West Bank, and Gaza. 195.
15. Tunisia, Algeria, and Morocco. 202.
16. The Islamist Venture. 211.
. Appendix: Islamist Societies in the Arab World. 223.
. Notes. 249.
. Glossary. 269.
. Bibliography. 277.
. Index. 295
What people are saying - Write a review
Islam is a religion which we call it such as rahmatan lil'aalamin (blessing fol all in this cosmos). We want to say that Islam and its origint does not belong to disire to build the state, if we want say that there is compabilty betweem Islam and the politics and state. But, merely most of ortodox jourist and ulama or intelectual or muslim schoolar argue that Islam has relation entirely with the power and state and its contexs of all regulation in the life. To countering of their arguments, contemporary ulama, around the metodhology of islamic studies, they argue that islam should be formeted formaly as a islamic state. The importance thing is how to make the justice, welfare, kepping of human rights, make balances of tolerrace between several religions in the worlds. we can comparate all arguments of relation between Islam and state in references from Abul a"la al-Maududi, Ali Abd al-Raziq, Thoha Husen, Husen Haikal, Hasan al-Banna, Sayed Qutb, Abdurrahman Wahid, Nurcholish Madjid, Ahamd Syafii Ma'arif, Muhamamd Natsir and Soekarno. They has told us about the acknowlegments of basis of idiological of Pancasila and UUD 1945, in near independence of Indonesia Republic, 1945 (post colonial) and pasca independence until reformation era now. by Muhammad Shobri as candidate of Doctoral program in Islamic state university Syarif Hidayatullah Jakarta, in work in progress.
Islamic Resurgence in Modern Society
A Cyclical Pattern
The Social and Psychological Roots of Islamism
Islamist Ideology and Practice
Taxonomy of Islamist Societies and Arab Regimes
Cradle of Islamism
Sunni Islamism Against Bacthi Rule
The Sudan Libya and Yemen
Jordan Israel West Bank and Gaza
Tunisia Algeria and Morocco
The Islamist Venture
Islamist Societies in the Arab World