Page images

understanding between them, put him on shore at Marseilles.

On the breaking out of the American war, he joined the Blonde frigate, in which he sailed to the relief of Quebec; and soon after removed to the Carleton, in which he distinguished himself in the battle fought on Lake Champlain, on the lith of October, 1776. In 1777, he was taken prisoner, with General Burgoyne's forces, at Saratoga; in 1780, he was promoted to the rank of lieutenant; and, subsequently, served on the Flemish coast, in the Apollo frigate; which, while cruising near Ostend, lost her captain, in a smart action with the Stanislaus, a vessel pierced for thirty-two guns, but carrying only twenty-six. Both ships suffered severely in this encounter, which terminated in the escape of the Stanislaus to the harbour of Ostend.

For his conduct on this occasion, Pellew obtained the command of the Hazard sloop, stationed in the North Sea ; and, on the 31st of May, 1782, he was promoted to the rank of post-captain. In 1783, he commanded the Dictator, of sixty-four guns, in the Medway; and afterwards, the Salisbury, of fifty guns, on the Newfoundland station. During this period, he twice jumped overboard, to save a fellowcreature from drowning; though, on one of these occasions, he was labouring under a severe indisposition.

At the commencement of the war with the French republic, he obtained the command of the Nymphe; with which, while on a cruise in the channel, he captured a French frigate, called the Cleopatra, after a remarkably close and well-contested action. For this service, Captain Pellew was immediately knighted, and appointed to the Arethusa, of forty-four guns, attached to Admiral Warren's squadron. On the 23d of April, 1794, the Arethusa, and three of her consorts, while cruising off Guernsey, fell in with four of the enemy, of which, after a spirited action, they captured three. On the 23d of the following August, he succeeded, with the boats of the fleet, in destroying a French frigate and two corvettes, which had been driven on shore by the British fleet; and, in October, while cruising off Ushant, with a small squadron, under his own command, he captured a large French frigate, called the Artois. In the early part of 1795, being then under Admiral Warren, he was directed to attack a French convoy, of which he captured seven, and destroyed eleven vessels, within sight of the Isle of Aix. Shortly afterwards, he was again placed at the head of a small squadron, with which he took and destroyed fifteen sail of coastingvessels.

On the 6th of January, 1796, he performed a noble action at Plymouth. The Dutton, East Indiaman, being driven in by stress of weather, struck near the citadel, and the sea broke over her, until all her masts went by the board, and fell towards the shore, the ship heeling off with her side to seaward. At this critical moment, Sir Edward Pellew, observing that the gale increased, and knowing that the flood tide would make a complete wreck of the vessel, earnestly entreated some of the spectators to accompany him on board, to attempt rescuing the crew; but the portadmiral's signal midshipman, Mr. Edsels

, alone volunteered his services. With great difficulty and danger, by means of a single rope, they reached the wreck, from which they succeeded in getting a hawser on shore, and saved the whole crew. For this heroic act, Pellew received the freedom of Plymouth; and, in the following March, was raised to the dignity of a baronet.

He shortly afterwards went on a cruise with the Indefatigable, and four other frigates; during which, he captured a fleet of French merchantmen, L'Unité, of thirty-eight guns and two hundred and fifty-five men, and La Virginie, of forty-four guns and three hundred and forty men.

On the 13th of January,

1797, with his own frigate, and the Amazon, he attacked a large French ship, off Ushant; from which, however, after an engagement of five hours' duration, he was compelled to sheer off, for the purpose of securing his masts. During the action, the sea, it is said, constantly ran so high, that his men were often up to their waists in water; and, in the course of the following night, the Indefatigable narrowly escaped being wrecked. The next morning, when her commander intended to have renewed the battle, he perceived the enemy lying on her broadside, with a tremendous surf beating over her. At five o'clock, the Amazon struck the ground; but the whole of her crew, with the exception of six, who stole away in the cutter and were drowned, reached the shore, where they surrendered as prisoners of war. Of those on board the French ship, which proved to be Les Droits des Hommes, of eighty guns, upwards of thirteen hundred unfortunately perished.

In addition to the prizes already mentioned, Sir Edward Pellew's squadron had, up to the end of 1798, captured sixteen armed vessels and privateers, mounting, in the whole, two hundred and thirty-eight guns. He continued to serve in the Indefatigable until the spring of the next year, when he removed to the Impetueux; and, in 1800, he was despatched, with a Heet of eighteen sail, to co-operate, in Quiberon Bay, with the French royalists. This expedition, as well as a subsequent one to Belleisle, being attended with no success, the squadron under his command proceeded to blockade Port Louis, in the Mediterranean; where one of his lieutenants captured a French brig, called Le Cerbere. He soon after accompanied Admiral Warren on the expedition against Ferrol; and, served subsequently, for a short time, under the orders of Admiral Cornwallis. In 1802, he became a colonel of marines, and member of parliament for Barnstaple; in which latter capacity he made an able speech in defence of Earl St. Vincent, who was then

at the head of the admiralty, on the 15th of March, 1804, when a motion was made for an inquiry respecting the naval defence of the country.

On the renewal of hostilities, he was appointed to the Tonnant, of eighty guns; on which occasion with a view to procure the services of a respectable schoolmaster for the ship, he offered, by advertisement, to add 501. to the government allowance, out of his own pockets. Having shortly afterwards taken a ship, on board of which the wife of a French deputy had embarked with 3,0001., the produce of her property, to join her husband in banishment, at Cayenne, he restored to her the whole of the sum, and paid, from his private purse, that share of it to which his subordinates were entitled.

He was next employed, with the rank of rear-admiral of the white, as commander-in-chief, on the East India station. In 1806, he took, or destroyed, thirty vessels at Batavia; and in the following year, completely annihilated the Dutch naval force in the East Indies. On the 28th of April, 1808, he was made vice-admiral of the blue; and, after having received an address of thanks from the ship-owners and underwriters of Bombay, he returned, in 1809, to England.

In 1810, he hoisted his flag on board the Christian VII., and was employed at the blockade of Flushing. He subsequently removed to the Caledonia, of one hundred and twenty guns, and succeeded Sir Charles Cotton, as commander-in-chief on the Mediterranean station. In 1814, he was elevated to the peerage, by the title of Baron Exmouth, of Canonteign, and made admiral of the blue. On the 2d of January, 1815, he became a knight companion of the Bath ; and, on the return of Bonaparte from Elba, he assisted, with a squadron, at the reduction of Toulon, and the restoration of the King of Naples.

In March, 1816, he sailed to Algiers, Tunis, and Tripoli; whence, after having concluded treaties for

[ocr errors]

the abolition of Christian slavery, (inter alia,) he returned to England in June. On the 20th of the next month, the Algerines having already violated the terms of their treaty, he was directed to hoist his flag on board the Queen Charlotte, of one hundred and eight guns, and proceed with a squadron to obtain satisfaction. He arrived off Algiers, with fifteen sail of the line, four bombs, and six Dutch frigates, on the 27th of August. Early the next morning, he sent a boat ashore, with a flag of truce, to announce the demands of ihe British government. After a delay of three hours, during which a sea-breeze enabled the fleet to get into the bay, the boat was seen returning, with a signal that no answer had been obtained. Lord Exmouth immediately made his final preparations for the attack that ensued, of which the following, with a few abridgements, is the account published by his secretary :-" I remained on the poop with his lordship, till the Queen Charlotte passed through all the enemy's batteries, without firing a gun. There were many thousand Turks and Moors looking on, astonished to see so large a ship coming, all at once, inside the mole; opposite the head of which she took her station, in so masterly a manner, that not more than four or five guns could bear upon her from it. She was, however, exposed to the fire of all their other batteries and musketry.

“At a few minutes before three, the Algerines fired the first shot, at the Impregnable. Lord Exmouth, seeing only the smoke of the gun, before the sound reached him, said, with great alacrity, That will do! Fire, my fine fellows !--and before his lordship had finished these words, our broadside was given. There being a great crowd of people, the first fire was so terrible, that, they say, more than five hundred of the Turks were killed and wounded; and, after the first discharge, I saw many running away under the walls, upon their hands and feet.

“My ears being deafened by the roar of the guns,

« PreviousContinue »