Religious Freedom in the Near East, Northern Africa and the Former Soviet States
Nova Publishers, 2002 - 237 pages
Human rights, of which the freedom of religion is a crticial componenet, are promised by most governments on Planet Earth. But promises are promises, are promises. In real life, religious liberty is far from a universal fact. This book surveys the countries of Africa based on U S State Department reports and is augmented by a current bibliography and a useful index.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Religious Freedom in the Former Soviet States
United Arab Emirates
abducted or illegally According allow such citizens anti-Semitic Arab Armenian arrested Ashgabat authorities Baptist Christian congregations Constitution provides country's court denominations detained discrimination discusses religious freedom divorce ethnic evangelical extremists faiths forced religious conversion Freedom Legal/Policy Framework freedom of religion Georgian Orthodox Church Government generally respects harassment Hizb ut-Tahrir illegally removed imams including of minor Islamist Israeli Jehovah's Witnesses Jewish community Jews Ministry of Justice minor U.S. citizens Moscow mosques non-Muslim nontraditional Palestinian Patriarchate percent period covered permits police political President prison prohibits proselytizing Protestant provides for freedom registered Religious Affairs religious communities Religious Demography religious freedom Religious Freedom Legal/Policy religious groups religious minorities religious organizations reportedly reports of forced respect for religious respects this right Restrictions on Religious right in practice Roman Catholic Russian Orthodox Church schools Section Shari'a Societal Attitudes Status of Religious Ukrainian Orthodox Church Unification Church Wahhabi Wahhabist women Yazidis
Page 1 - Though the Constitution does not specifically prohibit discrimination based on religious belief, the Government generally respects religious freedom in practice; however, there were some restrictions. There was no change in the status of respect for religious freedom during the period covered by this report. Islam is the only state-sanctioned religion, and the law limits the practice of other faiths, including prohibiting public assembly for purposes of practicing a faith other than Islam. However,...
Page 5 - SECTION I. RELIGIOUS DEMOGRAPHY The country has a total area of 231 square miles, and its population is approximately 670,000. The citizen population is 98 percent Muslim; Jews and Christians constitute the remaining 2 percent. Muslim citizens belong to the Shi'a and Sunni branches of Islam, with Shi'a constituting as much as two-thirds of the indigenous population. Foreigners, mostly from South Asia and other Arab countries, constitute approximately 38 percent of the total population. Roughly half...
Page 10 - Government attempts to control them legally for the stated purpose of combating extremists. The Government appoints and pays the salaries of the imams who lead prayers in mosques and monitors their sermons; however, it does not similarly contribute to the building, repair, or funding of Christian churches.
Page 5 - There was no change in the status of respect for religious freedom during the period covered by this report. In the past, the Government did not tolerate political dissent, including from religious groups or leaders; however, by February 14, 2001, the Amir had pardoned and released all remaining political prisoners and religious leaders. The Government continues to subject both Sunni and Shi'a Muslims to governmental control and monitoring, and there is some government discrimination against Shi'a...